how to? linear or radial transitions

hi All - I would like to create a transition like shown in the link below with Skatter and have no idea what I have to adjust at which position within Skatter. Since it’s a regular tiling I suspect that I need to use any grid setting and any falloff setting as well to produce a decreasing density of each tile in one direction or also a radial decreasing density instead of linear - I hope that someone here has an idea and can help me? Or is Skatter probably not the right approach for such a task?

https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=393&t=60255&start=150#p649972

Yes you can do that with Skatter.

You can do it with two Skatter setups:

• One for the base (white) tiles covering the whole surface. (Actually, it’s probably better to use a texture map for this, as it will limit the amount of geometry, and it will look the same)
  • One for the blue tiles, with the tiles components being a tiny bit thicker than the white ones, so that we can see them. This Skatter setup has a clipping area with an inverted density falloff.

Here is an example file. Right click on the tiles and click “Edit Skatter group”, so that you can see the settings.
tiles.skp (2.9 MB)

5 Likes

1000x thank you !! - this is exacly what I was searching for :slight_smile:

again, thank you Thomas for your support :smiley:. Finally I found the time to look at your prima solution approach in detail.

When I open your file and select your tiles-Skatter group - what do I have to do to see the settings you used here? Whatever I select, the skatter window remains empty…

1 Like

This:

2 Likes

:grinning::grinning: ouch - so embarrassing for me :point_up:
Thanks !!!

1 Like

No problem, that was easily missed :wink:

2 Likes

a very clever way of using the tool, I analyzed the model using v2.0, and it gives me different results, but the logic behind the solution is the same, thank you

This is a tutorial worth making, like maybe a series of making real-world solutions for different applications; the videos don’t need to be narrated or heavily edited just an easy recording of the steps with the final file shared to recheck the settings.

I think this will help the community a lot.

2 Likes