Thea Render... What the heck and how can we work with what?!

I wrote this out of complete frustration.

I’ve copy/pasted the content so that I may repost or comment further… but, Transmutr and Thea Render V1.5 and V2… have allot left to be desired.

Right now… this is kicking my butt trying to understand just how Transmutr actually helps at all with Thea proxies… especially since I can’t figure out what to do with these mesh.thea files created in the Thea proxy folder.

I’m lost.

And for that… thinking it might just be me… I deleted the content of my frustrated rant.

But, I’ve saved it incase it is needed. This plugin and Thea Render leave ALLOT to be desired. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I’d like to see an instructional video or specific manual page referring to how to get this to work correctly with Thea and the so-called proxy development.

WHAT ARE THESE mesh.thea files and WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO?!

Hi Duane,

Transmutr is Thea compatible in that it can generated Thea materials, and Thea proxies.

1. The Thea proxies are not what you usually work with, they are not *.mod.thea files. Because to generated those, we need the Thea SDK, and Altair does not want to give us access to it.
    Transmutr generates an *.xml file, and one or several *.mesh.thea files. We can generate this format without the Thea SDK, this is why we use it.
    The *.xml file describes the model hierarchy, the materials, etc. (I think it can also have information about camera, lighting and other things, but we don’t care about that for Transmutr). It links to the *.mesh.thea files that store the geometry itself. There is one *.mesh.thea per material (this is not our choice).
    The xml+mesh.thea is actually a very similar representation as the *.mod.thea format. But *.mod.thea actually stores everything in a single file. As it is a proprietary binary format, we can’t recreate it ourselves.
    Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a straightforward way of manually modifying those *.xml and *.mesh.thea files. This is a limitation in Thea itself, and there is not much we can do about it.

2. Regarding materials, they are regular Thea v2 materials. As I said in another thread, we don’t support Thea v1.5.
    If they are not rendered correctly in v2, please let us know.

3. Finally, regarding the axes issues you have, this shouldn’t be happening. Could you send an exemple showing this behavior? (please send us the source file, as well as the SketchUp and Thea files generated by Transmutr)

1 Like

I’ll see if I can’f find something I can send this afternoon.
I’m wishing Altair was willing to play with others right about now.
Thank you for the explanation. Much appreciated.

I think we can find other places we can chat with Altair and who knows, they might change their mind.

1 Like

I sure hope so!

Thomas should have the needed doors open to help Thea users benefit from the work being done here.

Hi guys.
You believe that we can follow this thread to ask the people of Altair for their collaboration:
https://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=24176

Or, it would be better to open a new topic. Do they believe that they listen to us?
In truth it would be a very large door that would open.

@juancarlosestereovis @alsomar @duanekemp @jql @pixero and other Thea users.

2 Likes

I don’t know where it’s best to request this.
I wouldn’t put my money on them changing their mind, it’s the drawback of such big companies.

1 Like

So, is it worth trying? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes it is

1 Like

There’s nothing to lose in trying :wink:

1 Like

Yes it is… (echo)…

1 Like

How good is this?

Thea Render Forum - Login

What can we expect, Thea users?