Textures not coming in with FBX >> Convert VRayMtl to Standard in 3dsmax

I’ve tried various FBX files. Meshes always import correctly, and list of materials matches list from original. However, materials themselves are missing any of the associated textures. External texture files are present in same folder.

Is this to be expected in this beta?

If it helps, I can send you a file I’m testing with.

1 Like

Hi all,
I have the same problem. I tried different models, but none of the textures were defined. I tried .fbx and .obj

Hi @bripiriegmail-com and @Daria,

Could you each send us one of the model that have this issue to [email protected]?

Many thanks.

1 Like

Thanks @bripiriegmail-com for the file.
It seems that the issue is that the material structure in 3dsmax is too complex. The .max and .fbx files contain material with the “VRayMtl”. This is not standard and doesn’t play well with the FBX format.
When I open the .max file and export to to FBX, I get the following warnings:

Some materials in this scene may not be supported by certain applications and will import as standard gray materials instead. The following materials are affected:
-12 - Default
-Material #2100444530
-15 - Default
-BrionMetal

The following maps are only supported by 3ds Max; they will not be recognized by other applications. To learn how to convert them so they will be compatible with other applications, see the Render Map Dialog topic in the 3ds Max documentation.
-Map #2070305423
-Map #2070305424
-Map #2070305412
-Map #2070305425
-Map #2070305426
-Map #2070305427
-Map #2070305428
-Map #2070305429
-Map #2070305430
-Map #2070305431
-Map #2070305432
-Map #210489

You should use Standard material only in 3dsmax when exporting FBX files to be used in Transmutr, as it is not possible to recognize other material types.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Textures not showing in preview (but exported in skp)

Also please see this post, as it might be useful to you: Import .Max file with vray settings directly.

@Daria > I looked at both of your files and the issue is the same.
JA Collection FBX.FBX has VrayMtl
Decorative_set_4.FBX has CoronaMtl

@Daria and @bripiriegmail-com, did you guys downloaded the .fbx files directly, or did you export them yourself from the .max files?

1 Like

Yes the model I emailed yesterday shows this issue, and also the smoothing slider issue.

1 Like

In this case it is an FBX, downloaded from a site like turbosquid or 3D sky. But I get the same result with every FBX that I try, including those saved myself from 3ds max.

I think it is very common to have FBX files with vray materials, which it would be very helpful to have the basic textures and settings preserved when importing to SketchUp.

How difficult is it for you to get the basic textures out of a Vray material?

1 Like

I should add that all the FBX files I have, the original materials are either for V-Ray or Corona. You don’t often see FBX available online with just basic 3ds materials, because the basic 3ds scanline renderer is so primitive.

So if Transmutr can get the basic diffuse, reflection, gloss and bump texture file names out of a Vray or Corona material, that would make the material preservation feature of Transmutr very helpful in many real world situations.

1 Like

Sadly, that Transmutr does not understand the materials. Most of the models that I have are also with such materials.

I tried fbx from MT_Interior_Models … I got a very large cube when the model itself is small. And weird materials.

It should look like this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems that it is much easier to use vrmat.confertor from 3ds max

We don’t know exactly. We are looking into it.

1 Like

In the next version, Transmutr will be able to read basic properties of V-Ray and Corona materials in FBX files exported from 3dsmax.

1 Like

wow, that’s fantastic! Can you say which maps or settings might come through?

Diffuse, Bump, Normal, Displacement, Reflection, Refraction and Opacity. But they have to be regular bitmaps in 3dsmax.
For example, if in 3dsmax you have a Color Correction node between the Bitmap and the VRayMtl, it can’t be extracted by Transmutr. The Bitmap has to be directly plugged into the VRayMtl.

Thanks for the info, it’s good to know what the limitations and capabilities are. Yes, sometimes people make really complex materials…