OBJ vs FBX

I’m using a free model from Viz People for this test and I’m testing out the FBX and OBJ files. These were both imported as Vray proxies. I noticed some differences between the two:

Materials have different reflectivity value for each type of file (notice the leather chairs)

So how does Transmutr determine the reflection and glossiness values of these 3D Models?

Smoothed model

OBJ model is not smoothed like FBX

You can see the “faceted surface” easier after I changed the glossiness of the material

Do you think this was caused by the source file? Because I tried another OBJ and it came out fine, and Megascans files that get imported as OBJ also look good. If it’s caused by the source file, is there a way to fix it without fixing the source file. I also don’t want to fix it by importing full geometry and soften the Sketchup file because sometimes I just want to use them as proxies.

Transmutr uses whatever values are in the source files.
In this case, this means that the OBJ and FBX files have different reflection values. I’m not sure why this is, we would need to look at how they were exported in the first place.

The same is true for the faceting. It means that the OBJ files has different normals data than the FBX.
In Transmutr you can set the ‘Smooth angle’ value which will smooth the model. But only in the SketchUp file, not the proxies. I think it could be doable to smooth the proxies as well, I will add this to our todo list.

1 Like

Ah got it! Thank you Thomas!