Compositions randomly stop working

SketchUp version : 21.1.332 64-bit
Skatter version : 2.1.3
Description of the issue : Compositions randomly stop working
Are you able to reproduce the issue every time? (If yes, how?) : Yes it occurs across files and models
Error in Ruby Console?:

Hi guys, I am still experiencing an issue with compositions randomly stopping working. I have opened a file this morning which worked fine last night only to find nothing appears upon rendering. The proxy object previews appear when generated but nothing shows up in the VFB. I can’t discern any pattern to it but I’m losing lots of time having to re - do all my skatters. Duplicating the compositions doesn’t help I have to go through the whole process again. Thanks for any help!

1 Like

I can’t even get results making new compositions, Skatter just isn’t working in this file any more. It keeps on happening, hours of work thrown away, trying to explain to the boss why that render ready file now needs more hours of tinkering. Extremely frustrating!

1 Like

I also have this issue… I cannot tell if it is related to the hidden object that skatter places in the origin as that object will appear in render despite being hidden… and if i unlock and delete it nothing works anymore including making brand new compositions with different objects and skatter surfaces.

1 Like

Truthfully I have no idea how to replicate the issue of the duplicate hidden origin objects showing up in render. It just sometimes seems to happen… more than anything would like to resolve why Render Only compositions fail to work at all as I can keep the origin away from my camera views when the first issue seems to happen

1 Like

We have had a few other users reporting this issue with V-Ray, but we are not able to reproduce it ourselves.

Would you be willing to do some testing to help us fix it?
Since we are not able to reproduce the issue on our machines, we need someone who does to do some tests for us.

If you are ok to do this, please follow these steps:

• Download this: https://files.getskatter.com/skatter_vray_debug.zip
  • Go to “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp\Plugins” and move the “skatter” folder and “skatter.rb” file to somewhere else on your disk (so that you can restore them later).
  • Unzip the content of the downloaded ZIP archive in the Plugins folder. This version of Skatter will log more information to the Ruby Console which could help us understand the issue. The ZIP also contains “!console.rb” which is a small script that opens the console when SketchUp starts.
  • In SketchUp, go to “Extensions > Skatter > Preferences” and make sure “Show logs in the Ruby console” is enabled.
  • Then try to reproduce the issue.
  • After the issue happens, copy everything from the Ruby Console and send it to me.

When you are done, you can remove “!console.rb”, and restore the previous “skatter” folder and “skatter.rb” file to the Plugins folder.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Nevermind my message… was easy. let me know if this helps

1 Like

It does help, thanks!
But could you send me the full log from the console, as text instead of a screenshot? I also need the very beginning and everything in-between.

1 Like

Will email those files as text files as well as a breakdown of my experience!

3 Likes

This kind of issue happened to me years ago and I just lost the things.

We are making some progress on this issue.

Can you try to remove vray_exporter_init.rbe in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2021\SketchUp\Plugins\skatter\src\utils

And then replace it with the attached file, vray_exporter_init.rb: vray_exporter_init.rb (5.1 KB)
(Note that the file extensions are different: .rbe and .rb , this is intentional)

Then tell me if it fixes the issue.
Thanks