Extremely Slow on Mac

SketchUp version : 23.0.418
Skatter version (Skatter dialog > Options > About) : 2.2.0
OS : Mac OSX - 128GB RAM - 3.6GHz Running OSX Ventura 13.5.1
Description of the issue :slight_smile:
The skatter dialogue causes sketchup to hang up for about 30 minutes or more each time I initiate something in skatter. The area I’m trying to skatter on is large at 21 hectares of flat surface, but the density is quite low (0.008/m2).

I’m also trying to mask out a group of low poly building components (about 210 components in total of which about 30 are unique). I have a saved Skatter composition using VRay trees (about 20 different trees).

Sketchup hangs up when I open the skatter dialogue for ~ 3 minutes.
When I try to click the mask area it hangs up for 30-45 minutes.
When I try to make that maks exclusive it hangs up for another 30 minutes.
When I try to select the surface it hangs up for another 30 minutes.

Approximately 1.5 hrs total just to skatter objects.

I had this working ok last night, but now have to recreate it as the VRay render was set to material override.

When I tried to regenerate the skatter render this morning (after saving last night), there was an error in the skatter dialogue. Essentially it can no longer find the surface, skatter objects, or mask layer. So I’ve been trying to recreate it again all day.

Am I just trying to do something too complicated or is there another reason that this would be so slow?

The whole file size is 70MB, so not tiny, but not huge either. I’d appreciate some help / tips… other than sitting here and waiting for it to load properly.

Are you able to reproduce the issue every time? (If yes, how?) : Yes. It’s slow every time.

Error in Ruby Console? (Window > Ruby Console) : No error. It just takes forever.

Do you have issues in a brand new file? Or is Skatter slow only in this particular file?

Could you send the file to us at [email protected]?

0.008/m2 over 21 hectares should be around 1680 objects. Indeed this is not a lot, Skatter should handle that just fine. There is probably something else going on. Looking at the file directly would help.