Known issue: an error occurred during initialization, cannot unstage file

Some users report that they encounter this error message after updating Skatter to a newer version.

This seems to be caused by the SketchUp process locking some of Skatter’s files even after SketchUp is restarted.

For the moment, it is unclear how we can prevent that error.

In the meantime, if this happens to you, please try those steps:

• Manually end the zombie “SketchUp Application” process (using the Task Manager on Windows, with Ctrl+Alt+Del) and then restart SketchUp
  • If this doesn’t solve the issue, restart the computer

This usually solves the problem.

tried that and no change. Also got this message:

Hi, can you try to completely remove Skatter from your computer (using SketchUp’s Extension Manager) and then reinstall it again?

I will try that. Another thing, when I try to buy from 3d bazaar
I get a white window, and have to forcer quit sketchup.

tried that along with restarting. No luck. Really need this to work and need it in a hurry. At the point I am willing to pay someone to render grass that I can use in my rendering.

@skipper

We don’t know the exact cause of the issue but what happens is that Skatter is unable to copy some important files. You could try to do the copy yourself.

Please try this:

1. Quit SketchUp
  2. Go to the path mentionned in the error message ("/users/YOUR USERNAME/library/application support/sketchup 2022/sketchup/plugins/skatter/core/mac/ruby_2.7.1")
  3. Copy the file Skatter.so
  4. Paste Skatter.so in the parent folder so that it ends up here: “/users/YOUR USERNAME/library/application support/sketchup 2022/sketchup/plugins/skatter/core/Skatter.so
  5. Restart SketchUp

thanks. I will try that. Meanwhile, I am going to try to uninstall and reinstall both Skatter . Can you tell me how to properly uninstall?
I just dragged the app to the trash and emptied the trash

To uninstall an extension: Managing Extensions | SketchUp Help
It might be best to also restart SketchUp after that procedure to ensure that everything is cleaned up.

You could try to do that for both Skatter and 3D Bazaar.

ok, didn’t know that was the way to do it and i mistakenly deleted the skatter app and the other app for textures that works with it. How do I re install now?

oh, and I BOUGHT skatter. Wasn’t a trial