Purge Unused in Sketchup Deletes Assigned Layers

I don’t know if this has been covered yet but whenever I purge unused in Sketchup it will delete layers assigned to any composition.

Hi @G2021
I cannot reproduce the issue. Here’s what I tried:

• Create a new layer
  • Create a new composition and generate it
  • Assign the composition to the new layer in the compositions manager

The layer is not deleted.

Have you done things differently?

Merwan,

I tried it again. Assign a composition to a specified tag I created and when I run “Purge Unused” it deletes that tag. A work around I discovered was to assign a SU object to that layer and then the tag doesn’t get deleted. For some reason, SU is reading the tag I assign for a Skatter composition as not being used.

Which version of SketchUp are you using?

That’s strange because when assigning a composition to a tag, the composition should be moved to the layer and then it should not be deleted since it’s not empty.

SU Pro 2022. I noticed it happening in a work file so I tried it with a fresh skp and it’s still happening.

Ok, it seems to be happening for render-only compositions because they don’t have any geometry in the model!

We added this bug to our todo list.

2 Likes

Thanks Merwan.

…Perhaps Skatter could just add one hidden object each time a user creates a ‘render only’ setup and place it on that layer at the same time? Perhaps Skatter’s logo in tiny, low-poly, 3d? (Like “Suzanne” from Blender?)
Boom. Sorted. :wink:

1 Like