RENDER ONLY IN VRAY SUDDENLY STOPS WORKING

SketchUp version : 2022
Skatter version (Skatter dialog > Options > About) : 2.1.5
Description of the issue : SUDDENLY THE RENDER ONLY OPTION IN VRAY STOPS WORKING, IT WAS ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO I HAVE THAT ISSUE, DIDN’T CHANGE ANYTHING…
Are you able to reproduce the issue every time? (If yes, how?) : YES, TRY TO RENDER WITH RENDER ONLY OPTION IN SKATTER. SEE VIDEO BELOW:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gjGom0zSBeg9PZYNEEG0dMqOi5ZKB7gC/view?usp=sharing

Error in Ruby Console? (Window > Ruby Console) : NO IDEA WERE TO FIND THIS ON MAC…

Does it work in a brand new file with a simple cube?

Hi Thomas!

One minute…
I will try…

Last week it worked just fine…

WTF…!!

Yes it does…
If you want I make a video of it…

Ok so it means that the issue is probably related to the file.
Can you send me the problematic file to [email protected] ?

Hi Thomas

You can find the files in the following link:
You are right, I make new files with skatter grass in render only mode and it seems to work fine…

Strange part is that I already deleted all the scattering in these files and try to do it with new scattered grass, but without succes…
It’s a file I use a lot for quick renders for potential customers, in the past I never have an issue with the scattering…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x9grt40I_USz1nW2wP56VC6diSVgylo3/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rxjDodvpt_4p1UPGo_HHjYZ4qRCfPvRW/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nxo9Bu_K8WyVp5gfibel7vg27o8gg108/view?usp=sharing

HI Thomas

Here is wat happens:

I use an old file with scattered grass and so on and first tested it quickly with vray and is was ok.
I duplicate that file and gave it another name, after that I added a building and some scattered objects, trees, bushes and so on…
But everything of SKATTER was disappeared…

I return to the initial file and did exactly the same thing, and here everything was scattered just fine…
So if we duplicate a file it forgets that SKATTER is inside the file…

Hi Thomas

Forget what I say…
SKATTER does not function at all in render only mode, I open a file I create yesterday, draw a square, make it a group to skatter some objects, in sketch up everything goes fine and I can edit and so on, but if I send to cloud or do an interactive render it refuse to render…

Hi Thomas

Troubles with SKATTER and VRAY continuing, sometimes the render only button work, sometimes not, this is really frustrating, please come with a proper solution or a proper video where you guys explain how we we relocate the skatter material or something like that…

Thanks…

Hi there, same issue here. The only thing I can do is remove skatter in extension manager, close sketchup re-open and re-install. Then works perfectly. Until such time you close and re-open the file. So very annoying/frustrating

This is very strange, I don’t understand what’s going on. Why does it work for most people but not you guys… There must be some kind of conflict or configuration issue.

Do you guys use Laubwerk? Can you try to uninstall it and see if the Skatter issue persists?

HI THOMAS

I do not use laubwerk.

It always seems to happen if I open an existing file and try to render with vray.

I have some standard background sketch up files that I use to render my projects quickly for my clients…
If I open one of these files and reconfigure the scattered objects, import the clients model and try to render with render only option (especially for grass and daisies…) it does not work.

Last time I figure out that if I duplicate the standard file, open it and import the clients model and render it with render only option it works. If I SAVE that model and close it and open it again and try to render it again with render only option it’s gone!
It’s like he forget that there are scattered material in my project once you save and close the model…

Flextools have a bit of the same issue, sometimes the parts of the windows start to float around if you adjust, solution for that is to copy the window, then sketch up see it like a total new instance and forget all the faults in it…

This really looks exactly like the issue we fixed with v2.1.5.

You mentionned in your first post that you are already running v2.1.5, but I’m thinking that maybe there was some issue during the update and some files were not updated properly?
Can you try completely deleting this folder:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2022\SketchUp\Plugins\skatter
and this file:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2022\SketchUp\Plugins\skatter.rb

Then download a fresh copy from here, and install it.

Let me know if the issue persists.

HI THOMAS

Can’t find that folder…
Today I am messing with SKATTER again, PLEASE help me…
If I open an existing file with SKATTERED objects in render only mode, it does not work, if I create a new base to put on SKATTERED objects in this file in render only mode, it does NOT work…

If I make a whole new sketch up file and put SKATTER objects in render only mode, IT WORKS, but if I save the sketch up file, open it again, the SKATTERED objects in render only mode are gone…
I do not have the time to make a whole new sketch up file over and over again…

PLEASE HELP!

Can we schedule a TeamViewer session so that I can try debugging it directly on your machine?

That will be great…

When will it suit you?

I’ll contact you via email.

@PANTE @AMGRY Could you try this version? https://files.getskatter.com/skatter_2.1.6b.rbz
Hopefully it should fix the render-only issue (and also the crash for you @PANTE )

Hi Thomas

I just installed this version of SKATTER and try to render something ….

This is the result:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE SOLVE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL…

HI THOMAS

I WAS A BIT TO FAST, FORGOT THAT I REBOOT MY COMPUTER SOME WEEKS AGO AND HE FORGOT SOME STUFF IN THE PROJECT…

NOW THIS IS BETTER:

2 Likes