Render only with Vray 5 still unusable

SketchUp version : 2020.1
Skatter version (Skatter dialog > Options > About) : 2.1.3
Description of the issue : render only feature is still unusable with vray 5
Are you able to reproduce the issue every time? (If yes, how?) :yes
Error in Ruby Console? (Window > Ruby Console) : no

Hi,
i’m confused to say i’m very disapointed using skatter, while i was very excited waiting for working with.
I can’t use render-only option with vray 5, while it’s the main feature I expect from Skatter.
I have to compute the scattered objects in the model in order to render them.
This issue is reproductible every time I work on a project. Sometimes, the rendering is effective on first hit, then saving sketchup file, closing and re-opening it…and then it’s a headheck to understand why it doesn’t work at all…

2 Likes

Replying to myself and adding details of the experience.

I CAN use render only mode when i use the following trick:
-Work in sketchup 2021 and Skatter. Not launching Vray Rendering.
-Open the same file in Sketchup 2020 (With open Newer version Plugin by Eneroth)
-Save and close file as it is (2020 version)
-Open in Sketchup 2021
-Hit render…and voilà !

So…what is going on?
Does Skatter needs to consider a file to be a brand fresh new stuff ?
I would like to have some users comments and report of their personnal expreriences.

Best wishes and happy New year to all

What is your exact version of V-Ray 5?
Does it happen with any object (even a simple cube?), assets from the 3D Bazaar, or only with a specific object?

If you do everything in SketchUp 2020, does it work?

Hi,
SketchUp version is 21.1.332
Vray Version is 5.20.03
Skatter version is 2.1.3

Ruby Console info when rendering:

live_scene(365):info: “Initializing Renderer”
Laubwerk: V-Ray callback
Timer stopped by wait - update proxies now called from wait loop
backup write…
live_scene(365):info: “Exporting model”
live_scene(365):info: “Exporting model: Done (79.3951862 seconds)”
live_scene(365):info: “Starting render”
live_scene(365):info: “Starting render: Done”

It happens every time, with every assets (from 3d Bazaar, own library or Cosmos; exploded component or not, full geometry or proxies)

If I work with SketchUp 2020, the issue is the same : fresh new file, new skatter composition and first render happen fine. But, when i save, close and re-open the file; render-only doesn’t work.

Despite this issue, I would like to congratulate you guys for your incredible work ! I assume it’s a headheck to track, find and fix theses bugs. I can’t wait to work painless with Skatter 2 !

Best

We are having a hard time reproducing this issue.

Your Ruby Console log shows that you are using Laubwerk. Could you try to remove it and see if the issue persists?

Unfortunately, I have already tested this kind of configuration. A fresh clean install of SketchUp with only Skatter and Vray plugins installed.

By the way, my trick described before (open file in SketchUp 2021 ->Save → open in SketchUp 2020-> Render only working-> open in SketchupUp 2021) doesn’t work anymore.
…totally lost…

Could you please try this older version? (2.0.0) https://files.getskatter.com/skatter_2.0.0.rbz
You should probably manually uninstall Skatter before installing this older version.

We made some changes after that version in the interaction between Skatter and V-Ray, and V-Ray also released an update in the meantime.
So this will tell us if the issue comes from our changes, or from the V-Ray update.

Thanks

I had the same issue, as soon as I went back to the older version above, as suggested - it’s back working again in ‘Render Only’,
Cheers,
Nick

Have you tried with v2.1.5?

Have you tried using the V-Ray File Path editor?

It’s under Extensions: V-Ray: File Path Editor.

Organize it by Directory then highlight the bitmaps and geometry for your proxy and click on Repath which will then open a window for you to locate the directory where everything is located.

I just tried it and it worked since I’m experimenting with V-Ray and Skatter right now.