Scatter effect on edges, surfaces, colors

Hey Scatter, I rendered some grass and I sure would like there to be some color variation among the various blades. So I would call this option Scatter Color. Could Scatter take the standard HSB bar and add ranges to H and S and B that users could specify and then Scatter would render the objects, but there would be a randomization of the various shades of colors for the objects. Here’s the other thing, I wanted to create a path in the forest of old bricks. However, the 3D program I use (Sketchup) makes perfectly shaped bricks. I don’t really want to do this via a texture, because textures look too fake. I wanted to make bricks, then add some variability to the smoothness of their faces and the smoothness of their edges. Again, I envision an option named Scatter Edge, where users could select the edges, select which axes (XYorZ) are used to vary the edge and how much variability is randomly added perhaps specified as a percentage of the length of the edge. Finally, how about Scatter Face, where again persons would select a face and ask Scatter to randomly add imperfections to the face in the sense of depressions or protrusions where one would specify the range of the diameter of the imperfections, the range of their depth or height, and the range of the shape of the imperfections (random, circular only, rectangular only, etc.) I made some images for a discussion I did about TShirt images, I placed this on a page of my website https://pistonrobot.com/discussions-not-related-to-pistonrobot/t-shirts-as-a-story/ I also uploaded an image I made of two robots walking along a brick path

Here’s an old brick image from Getty, I sure wish I could do that without having to create each of those bricks.

I’ve been asked as a favor to a church group to create the 3D version of this chapel

I got into my KeyShot and rendered out this texture to place onto the blocks that I will create as I draw out the 3D version of this church, but again I sure would like to apply Scatter Color, Scatter Edge, and Scatter Face to all those blocks instead of me having to do this one block at a time. Thanks again. Dr. Gray

You should take a look at allegorithmic substance products, or other texturing tools. They are a better path to realistic bricks than skatter

This is not exactly what you want, but in V2 it will be possible to randomly assign different materials. So you could have several similar materials with different colors, and they will be randomly assigned to each instance generated by Skatter.

You should take a look at Profile Builder

That you can already to with Skatter, using the Random Transformations

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I guess its pretty obvious that I really don’t understand Sketchup at the math level. It seemed to me that Skatter distributes groups on a terrain. I was hoping that a face could be considered as a special form of a terrain in that with a face all the borders are straight lines and all the points of the terrain are in one plane. So if a face is considered as a terrain, then I was hoping that Skatter could distribute solids (instead of groups) randomly placed onto that terrain. Then I was hoping Skatter could remove the parts of the solid that were above or below the terrain in a random manner. For example, if the distributed solid was a sphere, then these spheres would be all converted to hemispheres, with a random distribution of which hemispheres projected below the terrain and which ones projected above the plane. Finally, the Sketchup solid union function would be modified so these hemispheres could be added to the terrain like a Sketchup solid union is performed. Whew! Net effect, now the face looks like bubble wrap, except the bubbles are hemispheres not spheres, and some hemispheres are up and some are down. The only thing left is to do this with randomly varied globules instead of spheres and now one has Skatter face. I realized that Skatter Edge is not needed, because one can consider an edge to be just two very long thin faces joined together at the line which is the edge. So if one applied Skatter Face to these two long thin faces around the edge line, the effect would be to randomly alter the shape of the line. I was just hoping. Thanks again everyone. :slight_smile: pg