Skatter v2 pre-orders?

  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Would you be interested in pre-ordering Skatter v2 via a crowd-funding campaign?

In summary:

  • I work full-time on our products, Skatter and Transmutr, but my time is split between user support and development
  • Merwan joined me to develop Skatter v2 but he can only work part-time as we do not produce enough revenue to support us both
  • Skatter v2 made great progress but there’s still a lot of work left to do
  • A crowd-funding campaign would allow us both to work full-time on Skatter v2 and to release it within a reasonable timeframe
  • Through the campaign, you would pre-order a full Skatter v2 license (or an upgrade if you have a v1 license), and be involved in the development
  • Please tell us what you think of this idea!

The details:

Skatter v1 was released in February 2016. It had several updates, and in 2017 I started working on version 2 which would bring big new features like clusters, bitmap masks, a new browser, LODs, and more. I quickly realized that I needed help, as I wasn’t making progress fast enough on my own. So I offered Merwan to join me, which he did but only part-time as our company doesn’t make enough money to support us both full-time. For this reason, I continued to take rendering commissions on a regular basis, and Merwan had to keep another full-time job.

We made a lot of progress since then. Merwan brought his huge technical knowledge to the table, and we pretty much rewrote Skatter from scratch. It’s now much faster, more stable, and it has great foundations to support all the new features that we’re developing. For reasons that we already explained in a previous post, we also made the decision to accompany Skatter v2 with two complementary projects: Transmutr and a marketplace that will be integrated into the new Skatter browser.

Several months ago, I decided to stop doing rendering commissions and to work full-time on our software projects. Transmutr has now seen the light of day, and we are going back to Skatter v2 and the marketplace. But there is still a lot to do, and we feel that Skatter v2 is still far from being ready for a public release. This is all very frustrating for both you and us, as we all want to see Skatter v2 being released!

We think that if Merwan could work full-time with me, development would be significantly faster. So we are trying to make a plan to do just that, without going broke (which would force us to take other jobs again, and we would be back to square one).

That’s where you guys come in. We thought about opening pre-orders for Skatter v2. We will estimate how much time we need to finish the first release of Skatter v2 (probably a few months), which will define how much money we need to raise through the crowd-funding campaign. Once funds are secured, Merwan could quit his job and go full-time on Skatter v2.

On top of getting a full Skatter v2 license, we have a few ideas to reward early-adopters: providing access to alpha and beta releases for instance, and allowing backers to vote on which features to prioritize. In short, we want our community to have a direct influence on the development of Skatter v2.

What do you guys think? Is this a crazy idea, or do you think this is feasible?



Great idea!
You should advertise it more :slight_smile:


I like your idea. I think it could work very well.

I bought the beta version of Transmutr, and would be happy to participate in Skatter V2 as well.

I think the idea is good, but i do think you need to push out a mailing for this so you get more and better feedback. I got the feeling Skatter went into a dip, while it has huge power and it super great. Prehaps something went wrong with marketing. I cant really say ofcourse since i dont know the userbase for this app.

Also if you do this than you would need to show a target. Otherwise its a pretty wild guess and aim

Yes. Anything to get Skatter 2 moving along would be great and I imagine a lot of folks would be backing this. Especially if we can get a library to rival ForestPack.

Ill do you one better…If you can take the ivy plugin, that has been sitting dormant since 2011 and now does not work correctly with the new sketchups and vray 3.6 +, I will give you $200 to get started…or at least ascertain weather or not it is something you get get the source code for to even begin working on it…I would shit my pants if we could get access to that plugin again. Doing vines in all software is hellish and this plugin, for a brief time, really uped sketchups game.

called Sketchup IVY and is found here

Lend me your thoughts…

.Also, as a separate exercise let me know how much you would want to fully update it and then sell it through Lindale as a joint plugin…i.e I pay for you to develop it and I take a cut of sales.


That’s on our todo list:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, please keep it coming!

@rombout Of course, if we go forward with this idea, we’ll do a full-on marketing campaign with mailing, communication via social networks and all that jazz. For now, we just want to get the community’s opinion. Regarding the success of Skatter, it’s actually steadily getting new users so all is well. However, Skatter v2 would allow us to get to the next level :slight_smile:

@orchestraonestudio Ivy generation is planned. We already started doing some preliminary experimentation so that’s definitely on our roadmap.

Regarding your proposal to fund us personally, for now it’s more about getting help from the community as a whole :wink: But the idea of getting help from users sponsoring specific features sure is interesting. Maybe in the future but not for now.

1 Like

Late to the party…but I’m definitely in for this! Hope there’s enough people thinking the same way!

I love you

I think this is a great idea, specially since the road map is already established it would be very helpful to the campaign and the software to ensure achievable goals and deliver on time what was promised.
I would very gladly back it up you guys have always been great, and also would spread the word on the SketchUp communities i know.

1 Like

Do it!!! Really looking forward to V2. Do you have an approximate estimate for the price for V1 upgrade pre-order?

Yes, I would support it. :vulcan_salute::+1:

Rather than being rewarded to buggy prototype software and votes, would the offer of additional pre-made skatter families not be more of a draw to prospective bidders?

I certainly would be happy to back this crowdfunding, I’m eagerly waiting for the cluster feature so if we get acces to the V2 early I would be glad to fund it.

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

Yes, you should definitly do that, and I think you should do real promotion campaign for this crowdfounding.
I think that asking this here is not really efficient, as there seems to be not that much traffic. Many people use skatter and love it, but they’re more on sketchucation, or similar forums.

Doing a small article with nice users example on Ronen Bekerman to promote the campaign to found V2 would surely be efficient, and refocus the users on this tool.

Many software are not much evolving and don’t let users know why, so, in your case, if users see that it’s “just” a founding issue and not a lack of motivation or ideas, I’m confident that it could work !

1 Like

Yes we will have a much broader marketing campaign when we launch the crowdfunding. Here we just wanted our community’s opinion on whether or not it’s a good idea.

1 Like

@Thomas - I didn’t see on the Indegogo page or the email that follows purchasing the v2 preorder how to get the Skatter v1 with Clustering. How did I miss that? Thanks.

This is what the account page says but no link to download, etc - “…and get access right now to a special version of Skatter v1 with clustering.”

Hi @Eric_Sargeant, you should have received an email with download link by now.

Hi @Thomas, I´m missing the download information for the “special version of Skatter v1 with clustering” as well. Do we need to get in touch with you after placing the Skatter 2.0 Pre-order contribution for the link?