SketchUp 2016 Crashes When Attempting Skatter Activation

Hi there,

I am having a problem when activating my Skatter license in SketchUp 2016. When I enter my activation code and click “Activate” it immediately crashes SketchUp with a bug splat window. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times but nothing seems to work. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how should I go about resolving it?


I followed up on your email.


Hi there

I’m having the same problem with the demo version in Sketchup 2015, 2016, 2017, when I try to activate the program crashes. (Bugsplat)


Yeah it is an annoying issue but for me it wasn’t anything to do with Skatter. It was actually that I had a bunch of Network Connection devices that were enabled but not in use.

Try this. Open the Windows Search Bar and type in “View Network Connections” and see if there are any connections in there that have little red x’s by them. If so right click and disable them. Apparently the license activation/verification has a problem with these. Not sure why or how they get there but as soon as I disable all of my unused Ethernet connections everything works fine. I had this same problem with Thea Render and the culprit was the same. Unfortunately (if this works for you) you will have to disable them every time you boot up your computer (at least that’s what I have to do). Otherwise Skatter will crash Sketchup anytime you try to use it. You can try uninstalling the connections but mine just came right back once I rebooted my computer.

If you are slightly savvy with using the Command Prompt you can make a small batch script to do this quickly when you start up your PC. To do this open up some kind of Text Edit program (Notepad, Notepad++, Sublime, etc) and Copy and Paste the line below for each network connection you want to disable at start up and just make sure you change the “NETWORK CONNECTION” to the name of the connection you want to disable (usually like Ethernet and then a number).

netsh interface set interface "NETWORK CONNECTION" admin=disable

Once you have one of these lines for each connection you want to disable, save the file as a .bat file. You might have to physically type in .bat after the file name to get it to save properly. Then to use it just right click on the file and select “Run as Administrator”. It will take a few seconds depending on how many connections have to be disabled. When using it at startup I would recommend waiting a few minutes to run the script because for some reason they want to re-enable themselves during startup. Your file should look something like this when you’re done but with your connection names (leave out the etc…):

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 2" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 3" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 4" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 5" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 6" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 7" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 8" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 9" admin=disable
netsh interface set interface "Ethernet 10" admin=disable

Hopefully this helps and I didn’t throw too much at you at once. I just know this problem is frustrating and doesn’t make any sense if you don’t know about it. Good luck. Let me know if this works for you.

Julian, if Huston’s solution doesn’t work, try the offline activation : Offline activation