Texture/Map Type

Greetings,

I would be thankful for any guidance about using tyoes of maps with Transmutr.
What map/texture shall I use in general for:

Reflection
Reffraction

There are many Megascan types of maps included in their assets. Fortunately they are associated automatically but in other case that is not so evident.
Ex: Roughness, Specular, Gloss, etc.

Many thanks in advance

Here is the possible mapping:

Albedo -> Diffuse
AO -> N/A
Bump -> Bump
Cavity -> N/A
Curvature -> N/A
Diffuse -> Diffuse
Displacement -> Displacement
Fuzz -> N/A
Gloss -> ReflectionGlossiness (for now only available using Automations in the Studio version)
Mask -> N/A
Metalness -> N/A (use Specular instead)
Normal -> Normal (with the Normal switch enabled below the Bump/Normal field)
Opacity -> Opacity
Roughness -> N/A (use Gloss instead)
Specular -> Reflection
Thickness -> N/A
Translucency -> Translucency

They should be assigned automatically when you export an asset from Bridge to Transmutr.

1 Like

Thank you @Thomas.

It would be a great if you published Lindalë’s recommended texture mappings in the official Transmutr documentation. This would facilitate for Transmutr users who need to manually create materials.

I think it is safe to say that texture mapping is quite a common concern among Lindalë’s clients, especially for new users.

For instance, here’s a screenshot of the current Quixel Bridge (the Megascans asset manager) global download settings dialog window:

Most users, myself included, cannot be expected to understand which source maps to download. And even less so which maps are then supposed to go where in the renderer’s target material slots. Different bitmap purveyors – like Quixel, Poliigon, Aixterior and so on – offer bitmaps based on different material workflows and may even use different names fot the same type of bitmap. On top of this, the renderers that Transmutr supports may have different target slot names.

Little wonder, then, when many users are left confused and frustrated. And go somewhere else.

In sum, an offical Transmutr slot mapping guideline would be valuable for many Lindalë customers.

Strictly speaking, such documentation is the responsibility of purveyors of renderer applications and of material textures. But since these organisations do not always provide it, Lindalë could step in and help.

At the time of writing, Transmutr users need to assign material maps manually. We are all looking forward to the day when Transmutr starts supporting transmuting certain types of texture map collections into ready-for-use materials. In any case, even after this roadmapped feature has been added, users should often still need or want to assign maps manually.

Good idea, I have added a page in the documentation: Map name variants - Transmutr Help

Transmutr should already be populating map slots automatically, if it can find the data in the source file.
What roadmapped feature are you referring to? Importing a material without any geometry?

Thank you. This is a good addition to Transmutr’s public manual.

Yes, exactly. I was referring to Transmutr’s roadmap’s “Import a material without geometry” feature. I anticipate this to be a click-saver.

Keep up the excellent work!