Transmutr silent error generating vrmesh to non-ascii output path

First post here. Thank you for a fine product.

Our current goal using Transmutr is to achieve a smooth workflow for importing e.g. Megascans assets from Quixel Bridge for rendering in V-ray for Sketchup. I tried this workflow for the first time yesterday.

I identified an apparent Transmutr bug.

I used Transmutr on a Megascans fbx asset exported from Quixel Bridge to generate a simplified Sketchup proxy component pointing to a full vrmesh. Or, so I thought. When rendering the result in V-ray for Sketchup, however, no vrmesh was rendered. The object rendered in V-ray was just identical to the proxy.

It turns out that the V-ray asset editor did not contain any vrmesh object, nor did the Transmutr output folder. So, I looked at Transmutr’s log file. Row 3223 and 3224 read:

[0h 0m 0.5s] [16 MB] error:   [VUtils::subdivideMeshToFile] Cannot create file "C:\Febe\SLÃ?â??NGES\Wood Root 08.vrmesh"
[0h 0m 0.5s] [16 MB] error:   [PFileStream::Create] (123) The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

The likely culprit here is that the output path contains a non-ascii character, apparently obstructing the vrmesh generation. So I changed the output path to all-ascii characters. This fixed the problem.

Still, non-ascii characters are used natively by 100 000 000 + people just in Europe. So this error will affect other people.

The bug probably arises through an issue in Transmutr, or in V-ray’s ply2vrmesh.exe, or in both.

1 – Would you please fix this, so any unicode output path still yields correct results?

2 – Would you please show a clear error message in the Transmutr UI whenever a vrmesh generation fails?

1 Like

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for the very detailed bug report! I wish all of them were like yours :wink:

We have identified an issue on our side and fixed it. We also added an error notification in the UI if the vrmesh export process fails.

Unfortunately, there is also an issue on the ply2vrmesh.exe side. It seems to work with some unicode characters, but not all.
For instance, it works with characters like “éàöùê”, but fails with “茄子”. This happens even when using ply2vrmesh.exe outside of Transmutr.
We will contact Chaos Group to see if there is a possible fix.

1 Like

Actually, we found a workaround:
Ask ply2vrmesh.exe to export the .vrmesh to a temporary file, then move/rename the file to its final destination.

Great, thank you very much!

And thank you for sharing the internal workaround. If only there was a workaround for the workarounds…

In practise, the problem is solved. Until Chaos Group gets round to fixing their code, simply using an all-ascii character output filepath in Transmutr solves this problem.

The workaround I posted will be implemented in the next version of Transmutr, so you won’t have to worry about this issue.
It will be transparent to you, I didn’t post it to tell you to do it, we are taking care of it :wink:

Here is the fixed version: [Release] 1.1.2

Thank you, that was quick indeed.

I have tried exporting again, this time from Transmutr 1.1.2, to the previously problematic file path that contains the non-ascii character “Ä”, as indicated above. Results are positive. It works.

Transmutr 1.1.2 now exports as expected and this problem is solved.

Thank you!

1 Like