Here the story goes…
I started with leaf textures like this:
I built components like these:
I skattered the components into small branch components like these:
I then Skattered the small branches into bigger branch components:
At this point I tried to skatter them into the Trunks and branches that I had already made but Sketchup couldn’t hold it any more and skatter didn’t produce anything overnight.
So I turned the leaves, small branches and bigger branches into proxies:
I thought that if I had all these assets produced I might as well use them all, as these trees I’m making are very random. So I skattered the proxies on the Trunk and Branches and I removed the skatter as render only so I could insert the proxy boxes into the tree components:
I ended up exporting each tree to a sketchup model.
My trees are like this:
The fastest component that works is something like this:
And the original branches are these ones: