Vray stuck on "preparing scene for rendering"

**SketchUp version: 22.0.354
Skatter version: 2.2.0

**Description of the issue : Vray stuck on “preparing scene for rendering”, I experience this issue often on my PC and laptop. It’s not that we have any heavy skatters (file used to start render in under a minute) or that we run out of RAM.

Are you able to reproduce the issue every time? : Yes, simply by trying to re-render the file. It happens to many files. Consistency seems to be: if the file with skatters has been made on another PC. Wether it being my own dekstop or a machine from someone who works for us. Then when we bring it to another PC it might work without a problem. We render in “Render Only” and our assets are usually .vrscenes

Error in Ruby Console? (Window > Ruby Console) : There is no error in the SU ruby console. However there is one in the Vray log attached at the end of the post.

Ever since upgrading to Skatter 2 we’ve been issues on a very regular basis in the office, usually we managed to find a workaround. Could this have to do that we based the Skatters in our library from V1 setups?

30/08/2023 19:42:12	Warning	[V-Ray] [AppSDK:newPlugin] Can't modify renderer while asynchronously preparing to start rendering.
30/08/2023 19:42:12	Warning	[V-Ray] [AppSDK:fillSettingsVFB] Can't modify renderer while asynchronously preparing to start rendering.
30/08/2023 19:42:12	Warning	[SketchUp] Failed to create settings VFB
30/08/2023 19:42:12	Warning	[SketchUp] C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/special_objects/settings:76:in `fill_settings_vfb'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/special_objects/settings:76:in `fill_settings_vfb'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/observers/model_observer:42:in `block (3 levels) in onPreSaveModel'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/observers/base_observer:18:in `without'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/observers/model_observer:41:in `block (2 levels) in onPreSaveModel'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/observers/model_observer:39:in `change'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/observers/model_observer:39:in `block in onPreSaveModel'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/observers/model_observer:38:in `change'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/observers/model_observer:38:in `onPreSaveModel'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/internal/render_session_production:18:in `start_render'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/internal/render_session_production:18:in `start'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/public/context:221:in `start_session'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/public/command:24:in `render_production'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/gui/commands:68:in `block in <module:GUI>'
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/gui/commands:20:in `block in generate_command'

Small update: after a very long wait, the render finally starts. When I turn off windows “Real-time protection” the render starts much much faster. But how come this happens at random times and depending on files?

Also, after starting SketchUp, the first time I render the skatters never show, only when I start to render a second time. Is this expected behaviour?

Could you send us the project file along with the vrscene files to [email protected]?

I thought we fixed that in a previous update. Are you using Skatter v2.2.0?

Hi Thomas,

Yes we are using v2.2.0, I will send you the files right now.

Thank you!

Thanks a lot for the files. I was not able to reproduce the issue unfortunately.

If the render starts faster when “Real-time protection” is turned off, it sounds like it’s the issue.
I have no idea why it happens randomly, these antimalware stuff sometimes behave like black magic. When users have issues with antimalware software, it’s almost always impossible for us to debug because of the unpredictable nature of it.
If it triggers only when you try to render a file created on another computer, maybe it sees it as foreign and treats it differently. I don’t know.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for checking and for the information!

1 Like